Wednesday, June 3, 2009

If you think about politics or religion too much, you'll drive yourself crazy.

I had to go to Cal State Bakersfield today to clear up an issue with my fall enrollment. I figured I'd be there about 2-3 hours, shuffled from one office to the next, and eventually end up with a phone number to call: typical customer service. To my delight, I met about the most knowledgeable employees I'd ever run in to. In only 10 minutes, they corrected a prerequisite issue, added a class to my schedule, and processed my enrollment fee. That's usually an afternoon or two. So, kudos to CSUB.

I got myself into a political discussion last night some how. Political and religious discussions hardly ever end up with anyone satisfied. My motto is this: If you think about politics or religion too much, you'll drive yourself crazy. You really will. Don't ever look into the Commission on Presidential Debates or attempt to align a written religious doctrine with a scientific time line. Anyway, I always end up in discussions about the two! I threw myself into last night's one because a lady was pontificating like crazy. I had to correct her on a myriad of her assertions. At one point, she said "I have my head up my ass" because I said the Senate was a breeding ground for corruption and I am glad Obama had to only serve one term there. She thought George W. Bush was a very intelligent guy because he went to Yale and had a lot of experience (sidenote: I have no party affiliation; I am a centrist.). She refused to believe me when I said he couldn't get in to or out of a community college without the influence of his father. I don't know why I even talked to her. Probably because I like to argue...when I know more than my adversary. I'll keep my mouth shut otherwise, and listen. All the wrong people always seem to do all the talking.

2 comments:

  1. "All the wrong people always seem to do all the talking." So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been waiting so long for a new post!

    ReplyDelete